Monday, May 5, 2014

Day something else that I haven't already said but a new week, which I also lost count of

So I made a discovery today! Resistors have a color code by the number and color of bands on them! I kinda wondered what those were.. By the color code, that means I'd need a orange-orange-brown gold resistor based on the images I found. I FOUND ONE! ... only it's broken. I'll keep looking...

Well considering we have so many of these, I really am kinda curious what each band means and how to understand them. I'm going to sort some and figure out what exactly they are! There seems to be numerous combinations, so I'll try to get a few figured out.

This first bunch is all 4 band resistors. They all seem to end in the color gold, which means 5% (something). 5% what? Wikipedia gives it as the tolerance. What is the tolerance?

We'll start learning about an easy(?) one. I have a bunch of red-red-red-gold resistors, which http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/calculators/4-band-resistors.html translates as 2.2k ohms 5%.
How do we understand this? The code has a gap between the third and fourth bands (labeled A-B-C-D), so bands C and D, to distinguish left from right. C is used as a multiplier. Wikipedia has a great code that functions as how to read A and B by the color. Each color has a unique number with it, as well as a multiplier and a tolerance. The picture is shown here:
This table will help me read random ones!
It makes it obvious red-red-red-gold has to be 22 * 10^2, or 2.2 * 10^3, or 2.2k with a tolerance of +/-5%.

Another one I found several of was a yellow-violet-red-gold resistor. This must be 47*10^2 or 4.7k ohms with a tolerance of +/- 5%.

If we have a 5th band, we simply use A-B-C-D-E with A-B-C as our first 3 digits, D as the multiplier, and E as the tolerance.

A 6th band would not be the same actually! The last digit (F) would be a ppm reading. Not sure what that is but I will look into it!

Note to self: If I was going to organize it, I should pick a common band (probably the multiplier) to sort by so they are all similar in terms of powers of 10. Sorting every single color combination would be a little too much work I'm thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I am really close to getting mine done so I probably have the resistors you need. If you need any help just ask.

    ReplyDelete